BUYING REAL ESTATE IN AUSTRIA
- If you are not from Austria, there may be additional laws and restrictions in place for buying property in Austria. Different municipalities, what we call " Bundeslände" have their own rules.
- Be prepared to pay anywhere between 9 and 13% of the property value for the transaction fees. (These include: Property Transfer Tax, Value Added Tax, Registration Duty, Notary Fee, Agent's Fee and more!)
- If you are planning on taking out a mortgages, Banks will typically finance up to 70% and the length of the mortgage is usually between 15 and 25 years. TIP! If you have been making your incoming abroad, be sure to consult a tax expert on the best way to proceed with purchasing a house.
- NON-EU Citizens are only allowed to purchase and have one property and will require permission from the government! Be sure to issue this with your real estate agent or lawyer.
RENTING REAL ESTATE IN AUSTRIA
- If you don't mind driving, you will find cheaper properties in Lower Austria, some as close as 20 minutes from the centre.
- Keep in mind that you will have to pay a deposit ("Kaution"), typically is is 2-3 month's rent.
- In addition, if you found a property through a real estate agent or the property was listed by a real estate agent, you will typically pay 1-3 month of the rent plus 20% VAT as a commission.
Here are the top three websites where you can search for real estate in Austria.
TIP! - Sometime there are different properties listed on different websites! Be sure to check out all of the websites.
TIP! - Sometimes the same property is listed by several agencies, it is important that you stick to one agency, otherwise you may be asked to pay commissions more than once!
TIP! - When possible, always clarify with your real estate expert that viewing of properties are free of charge!
TIP! - "Kaufen" means BUY, ""Miete" means RENT!
Price Comparison Website
TIP! - Compare the prices of properties that your are interested in to the average prices!
TIP! - IF the property has been sitting on the market for a long time, try your best to negotiate the price down. Negotiations will likely not work for property that are new on the market.
immopreise.at is a website often used by real estate professionals for companies prices of both apartments and houses in the designated "Bundesland". Direct links can be found below:
Vienna Apartments for Rent - "Wien Wohnungen Miete"
Vienna Rent (Old Buildings) - "Wien Wohnungen Miete Altbau"
Vienna Rent (New Buildings) - " Wien Wohnungen Neubau"
Lower Austria - Houses - "Häuser in Niederösterreich"
Lower Austria - Apartments - "Wohnungen in Niederösterreich
Marlies Muhr Immobilien
Elisabeth Roth Real Estate
German Real Estate Vocabulary
Immobilien - Real Estate
Immobilienmakler - Real Estate Agent
Mieten - Rent
Kaufen - Buy
Wohnung - Apartment
Haus - House
Bezirk - District
PLZ - Postal Code